The monastery is located on the high right bank of the Siversky Donets (the so-called Holy Mountains). In addition to ground buildings, it has chalk caves. The relics of St. John the Hermit of Sviatohirsk are kept in the monastery. The first written mention of this monastery dates back to 1526. On March 12, at 10 pm, a bombardment was carried out in Sviatohirsk, as a result of which the Holy Dormition Sviatohirsk Lavra was severely damaged.